send a FREE FAX to the Chhattisgarh government to demand:
1. Immediate release of the doctor to the workers DR. BINAYAK SEN
2. End to the state repression of democratic dissent, revocation of the CSPSA
3. Disbanding of SALWA JUDUM, full compensation to all victims
Even though the state has been unable to produce any evidence against him, Dr. Binayak Sen’s pleas for bail have been repeatedly refused by judicial institutions at all levels in the country. We oppose the use of bail as punitive measure to intimidate human rights defenders and demand and demand the immediate release of Dr. Binayak Sen.
The Chhattisgarh Special Public Security Act, 2005 (CSPSA), under which Dr.Binayak Sen has been arrested, allows the state to bypass many routine forms of due process through the law’s unreasonably broad definition of unlawful activity, and acceptance of vague and unreliable evidence, all in the name of national security. The unclear provisions of this law have been used unfairly by the State to silence government critics such as Dr. Binayak Sen, Ajay TG , a film maker and PUCL activist, and Journalist Sai Reddy (and many others). We demand that draconian laws which have been used unfairly to harass human rights activists be immediately repealed.
Salwa Judum, the State-sponsored militia set up in 2005, has been responsible for killing, looting, rapes and forced eviction from their homes of more than 100,000 indigenous people to camps with inhuman conditions. Common concern for many is that the arrest and detention of Dr. Sen was directly related to his activities in defending the rights of the indigenous communities in Chhattisgarh state, and to his open criticism of the Salwa Judum. We condemn the state government for arming Salwa Judum and abetting terror against innocent civilians and tribals, and demand that it be immediately disbanded.
· More information on Dr. Binayak Sen and his case:
- For a detailed analysis of the state’s case against Dr. Sen, read the 3-part series in Indian Express by Vinay Sitapati
- A timeline of Binayak Sen’s case
- A compilation of news articles on Dr. Sen can be found at www.binayaksen.net , www.freebinayaksen.org and http://www.aidboston.org/FreeBinayakSen/media.htm
· On Chhattisgarh Special Public Security Act, 2005:
- Fact-finding reports on Salwa Judum can be obtained from the website for the Campaign for Peace and Justice in Chhattisgarh,
- Letter to the Chhattisgarh government by over 50 international peace and justice groups